Thursday, December 17, 2015

Sharps, Flats, and Naturals

Good evening! So glad we are nearing the end of the week...it's been a long one so far. Today I have some thoughts about music and about how much it's impacted my life so far. Hope you enjoy!

We had our Christmas concert on Monday night and it went fairly well. I had a lot of fun and it was great to see all of our hard work put together at last. So the other night I got to thinking...when did my love for music really begin? And why do I love it so much?

The answer is 4th grade. I begged my mom to play the flute. There were some girls at my church who played and I fell in love with the way it sounded. Not going to lie, it started off pretty rough. I hated to practice and it was hard at first. I dreaded lessons every week and my mom thought I was going to give it up.

But I didn't. I played for church a handful of times, did a lot of talent shows, and my flute teacher told me I had real potential. I loved to play my flute after a while and a few years later, my 7th grade year, I told my mom I wanted to play another instrument.

So a few weeks later, I picked up an alto sax and started with that. This instrument too, had a rough start. I liked my flute better only because I wasn't good at alto. But with time, I slowly transitioned between instruments. I played flute for the first semester of high school, but because my director needed saxophones more, I joined the alto sax section. The music was so much more fun.

Sophomore year I joined jazz band and fell in love with playing so stylistically. And as ridiculous as it sounds, my saxophone has a name- Sam. We're a team, and in all honesty, that instrument has gotten me through so much. On bad days, I play. On good days, I play. Music has a way of making me feel better.

Not only does music make me feel better, but also my wonderful director, Mr. Thiel. He's one of my biggest support people in my life and I can't imagine living without him. We have so much in common and he's always there for me when I need him, or to make me laugh on a bad day. He's encouraged me to keep playing when I feel like giving up and to keep on praying when I feel hopeless.

It's important to have something and someone in your life who have your back in all stages of life. That means not only the good times but the bad times too. I'm sure you can think of those few friends that you could celebrate with but probably wouldn't want to tell your problems to. I have those too. But when you find those genuine people and passions for music, sports, or art...hold on to it. They are truly blessings from God- so don't forget to thank Him for them!

Life can be incredibly ugly. But with all the "flats", "sharps", and other "naturals" in our lives, they can still come together to create something beautiful- just like in music. I promise you that these tough times will build you into a stronger person. A stronger Christian. Someday, these battle wounds will be gone, and will only have made you stronger.

To quickly summarize my thoughts on this post (it's late so I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear):
Find something and someone to hold on to (preferably somebody with a strong faith who can encourage you in Christ). Use these blessings and remember that with these, your tough days can only paint a better picture in the end.


Much love to all of you,
Marissa Mayer

P.S. I'll see if I can get another post in this weekend...but we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment