Sunday, January 17, 2016

Get Stronger

Good afternoon! Sorry it's been forever since I've blogged...

However, I got mentioned in the paper about the stigma of depression. You can check that out here:
http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/2016/01/11/shame-stands-way-mental-health-help/76685626/

Anyways, I have a pretty good idea about what I wanna say today, so here goes:

Throughout the course of my "depression journey" so far, I've heard so many people tell me the familiar phrase, "stay strong." I think that it seems like the right thing to say when you don't understand. However, after lots of thinking and analyzing, I've come to realize that you can reshape this phrase to be even better and more encouraging.

So let's take a longer look at "stay strong," and why I think it can be slightly altered. 

The definition of "stay" is to "remain in the same place"
And strong can be defined as:"being able to withstand great force or pressure"

Let's take the "great force" to be your depression  or other battle(s) you might face. Everyday you might be faced with self-harm and/or hate, anxiety, and a number of other tough situations. And let's say every once in awhile, the battle gets harder. The storm gets fiercer. Now how are you supposed to defeat that if you're in the same place? Doesn't that sound like a hard place to be stuck in?

So how about this: "get stronger"...doesn't that sound a little better? By getting stronger, you are guaranteed to overcome anything that comes your way.

If you're still a little confused, look at it this way...say you're lifting weights. Everyday, you use the same light-weight. But one day, you are asked to lift something a whole lot heavier. But how are you supposed to do that if you haven't been practicing and getting stronger? Answer: you won't be able to.

So, my loves, I hope you continue to GET STRONGER, keep building up that faith, and overcome absolutely anything that life throws at you.

You can do anything with Christ by your side,
Marissa Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment