Monday, February 8, 2016

My Top 10 Coping Methods

Good evening! Hope you all had a great Monday and if you didn't, I'm sure the rest of the week will go well for you. I'm always praying!

In all honesty, I don't have a specific topic to write about tonight (so if you have ANY ideas at all, please please PLEASE email me, and I will most definitely write about it)...so I hope you don't mind this list of my some of my coping methods.

I've been doing well again for the most part. But really, it can end up being a roller coaster. It depends on the day...and every day I encounter little things that can really get to me. It's sort of frustrating, and I'm learning how to cope with it. So I thought maybe I'd give you some of my methods (no promises that they'll work for you, but they might be worth a shot):

1) Listen to some music.
As somebody who is obsessed with the art of music, I am always comforted by this. I'm not suggesting sad songs either. Maybe try classical or something new (I really love Vivaldi's Four Seasons when I'm trying to focus and get stuff done). If you're not into that, then I'd suggest some songs with a good beat.
Here's a playlist I found on Pinterest (sorry boys, it's more for the girls):
http://www.tressugar.com/Empowering-Songs-Women-2014-35813405

2) Talk it out.
I believe it's important to share some of the thoughts on your mind. Find somebody who's willing to listen. Of course, talking to God is the most important! Prayer is always a great method in helping yourself feel better. Otherwise, as I've said a million times before, I'm here to listen too! You can always feel free to contact me at: marissa.mayer17@gmail.com

3) Or write it out...
I've always loved to write...hence the reason I am able to keep this blog going. Sometimes when it's late at night and I don't want to bother anyone, I write it all down. Usually I'll keep it and read it another day, and other times I just throw it away. It's a good outlet for me, and sometimes I can use it for inspiration on my posts.

4) Relax.
One of my recent discoveries in helping myself is taking baths and reading (not at the same time). I also love using candles, which is very calming. For some reason, the warm water is soothing to me and sometimes aromatherapy works well for me (if you're looking for some suggestions...Bath & Body Works is a fabulous resource- I use their aroma therapy products as well as their regular scents...one of my favorites is Mediterranean Blue Waters- check it out!)
And I love books. The Bible is a classic- of course Psalms is my favorite book. Sometimes getting myself into good literature can really help me escape from the drama of this reality and allow me to put myself into another one for a few chapters. Not only is reading relaxing, it's beneficial to your health all around. It grows your vocabulary, can teach you new things, and is proven to help stress! Check out an article I found here: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-benefits-reading-why-you-should-read-everyday.html
I'll try and put some good book recommendations on my "Inspiration" page soon. If you have any suggestions for me to read, let me know!

5) Get in touch with your creative side.
Ever since I was a kid, I've loved being creative. Whether it was writing poetry or drawing, I absolutely adored anything I made myself. I think that getting creative is super great for your brain, and society must think so too with those new "adult coloring books"...(want one by the way!) So whether it's coloring a picture, or making something you found on Pinterest (yes, food counts), try making something new...you might end up surprised!

6) Go outside!
Sometimes, I feel like God is a million miles away. When this happens, I like to go outside and get a breath of fresh air. Of course, it's a lot nicer and easier to do in the summer, but you can still go outside during the winter and look at the beautiful snow (which is a great reminder of the way we are made pure through Christ's sacrifice on the cross!) Another great connection is the beauty of His creation. I love standing out in the fresh falling snow and trying to fathom that each snowflake is unique and no two are the same. Overall, being outside just has such a positive effect on my attitude.

7) Get active. 
It's really important to get a little bit of activity every day. For me, dancing is usually a good way to let out some energy- and hopefully the negative energy! Otherwise grab a friend and go for a run or hit the gym. Whatever it is, get moving!

8) Get some sleep.
As a high school student, I am often sleep deprived by Wednesdays and have to catch up on sleep during the weekend. But it's really important to get as much rest as you can when you're super busy. I know that when I'm not getting enough, I can get very irritable and easily stressed out. So whenever possible, skip out on the late-night online shopping, and pulling all-nighters cramming for those exams and go to bed early. It can be a huge blessing to just get enough sleep. Then hopefully you'll wake up feeling a little bit more refreshed.

9) Surround yourself with people.
My depression loves to get me down sometimes, and when it does, I usually like to seclude myself. But really, that's just so the devil can get a better grasp on me. Because I have no support when I'm alone, and it's easier to sit and dwell in my depression. So even when that voice in your head tells you to go sit in your room alone, power through. Usually I like to grab my mom and catch up on some Grey's Anatomy or go out shopping with her. Anything to get my mind off of the darkness in my head, and focus on having a good time with others. Otherwise, pick up the phone and call a friend!

10) Treat yourself. 
Don't be afraid to treat yourself. For me, it's treating myself to food. When I'm feeling a little down, I like to get myself some ice cream. Otherwise, I'll finally go out and buy something that I've been wanting for awhile. This doesn't always mean I'm spending a lot, sometimes it can be as simple as getting myself a new color of nail polish or something simple. Although this method might not be very beneficial for my bank account, it usually brings a smile to my face.



That's all I have for you guys tonight. I hope you enjoyed reading this post! If you have any great coping methods that you use, feel free to share them with me! Keep checking the blog for a new poll and  hopefully I'll post again later this week.

Depressed but always and forever blessed,
Marissa Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment