Friday, March 25, 2016

Thank God It's [Good] Friday

Here's to the best Friday of the entire year! Got lots of stuff on my mind today...

First off, an update on the "happy herb pill"...

So far, so good. I've been feeling great lately. My thoughts are not scary or dark. No more voices telling me I want to die. I'm having a fairly decent time living actually. Right now, I'm facing my window and I can hear the birds chirping and see the snow (insert heavy sigh here). I feel blessed that I found this remedy to my endless emotional pain. Although it's only been 6 days since I started, I don't see this taking any bad turns anytime soon. The only downside is the fact that my appetite is being controlled a little more...so I'm losing quite a bit of weight. Hopefully my body is just adjusting.

But now, here's the good stuff:

During most weeks, we are all excited about Fridays. It means no more work/school, only rest and relaxation coming your way for 2 whole days. I know that for myself, and like all of my classmates, Friday is essentially restless. The teachers tend to get a little irritated with our endless chatter, and it's obvious they're just as ready for the weekend as we are.

This week is different. Holy Week. Probably my favorite week of the year. Why? It's the week my Savior spent preparing for the ultimate sacrifice on the cross. I love reading through the Gospels and following His journey with each day during Holy Week. It all leads up to a horrible death on a cross, all out of love.

Why would anyone do that? We, as human beings, are nasty...full of rotten sin. We think we can save ourselves, when in reality, we are stuck in an endless pit of lies and deceit. And I certainly wouldn't sacrifice myself for somebody as sinful as me. But Christ would...because He loved us more than any of us can fathom. Honestly, trying to understand it is impossible, and that's what makes it so beautiful. We needed a Savior, and our loving God was willing to send one to the terrible human beings that we are. That's what makes the entire Holy Week beautiful.

So what about today? Good Friday. I've often thought why "good"? Shouldn't it be more than that? After all, we're talking about the gift of eternal life. But as it says in Matthew 20:28, Christ came not to be served, but to serve, and give His life as a ransom for many. I think it's "Good" Friday because Christ was a humble servant. His death wasn't "flashy"...it was horrifying. And it's through His pain and suffering that we are made holy, blameless, and seen without sin in His sight.

I believe it's important to keep the cross in mind every week. While each week holds it's own trials, it's important to remember that because we believe in the ultimate Friday, we can forever experience relaxing weekends in paradise with Christ. 


Depressed but blessed by His saving grace,
Marissa Mayer


4 comments:

  1. Hey Marissa,
    Stopped in to check out your blog after you visited mine the other day! I appreciate how open you are about your experience with depression. I know how scary it can be. I think the best way we can help one another, and the community, is to be honest and humble about our experiences.
    I'm glad you are feeling better these days.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree! Thanks a million for checking this out. Means the world!
      Marissa

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you're doing better Dear! Remember that it is the Lord who is healing you, not the pills! Although He is doing the healing through them.
    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder! Can't wait to see you tomorrow! Love you!

      Delete