Thursday, April 21, 2016

Hurting But Helping

Good afternoon all. Hope you are having a great day!

There is somebody in my life (who will remain unnamed for privacy purposes) who has helped me a great deal lately. She's gone through a lot of similar struggles and through both of our trials, we've reconnected. And as I've continued my journey with mental health issues, I've noticed something beautiful. Those who hurt, help the most. I'll bring that idea back around in a little bit here...

But this young woman is beyond beautiful. Inside and out. She has a big heart and is always willing to listen to me and countless others, I'm sure. I cannot count the amount of times she has tagged me on inspirational quotes on Instagram or made me smile by sending a simple Snapchat. She is going through a lot on her own, including some health issues. It's easy to fall into the trap of questioning God and His plan. I definitely catch myself in it a lot and so has this she. Despite every struggle that this girl faces, she gets back up when she falls...

Not only that, but she grabs my hand on her way back up too. And that brings me back to what I said before. I've found that a lot of people who struggle with mental illness or face a lot of challenges, are always willing to help others despite the junk they're facing themselves. Selfless. And that is what makes this sweet girl such a valuable daughter of Christ.

Those are the kind of people you need to hold onto. People like my friend here, who love and serve others even when they might be drowning in their own sea of problems. She is the perfect example of what Christ looks like when He shines through others. Despite the fact that He was going to die for the sins of the whole world, Jesus continued to love and serve those around Him. 

That's why I firmly believe it's important to surround yourself with new people constantly. Building new relationships is so beneficial! Especially when you need some more positivity to surround you. Making new friends and reconnecting with old ones always takes you a little outside of your comfort zone which is healthy too!

But there have been many occasions in which I thought: "who wants to be friends with the depressed girl?" I've come to the conclusion that I'm more than my depression. And I'm sure that a lot of you can agree that those of us who struggle, love to help others. For me, it gets my mind off of my own problems and gives me the opportunity to encourage somebody else. So if you've ever felt like I wasn't approachable, I want you to know that I am! I'm always more than happy to help each and every one of you (Contact Me forum is on the right hand side of the screen)!

But this friend of mine, has come into my life at just the right time. God sent her when I needed somebody to confide in. While I was so worried about everything else, He sent me a wonderful girl to be my help. I've been so blessed to reconnect with her and I'm excited to continue our friendship as she has only been of positive encouragement and continues to help me build my faith (as well as "get stronger"). God has such wonderful plans in store for this girl because she makes her faith evident and is always willing to help me when I am down. So, to my lovely friend (I know she's going to read this), thank you for being such a fabulous friend but ultimately a sister in Christ.


Blessed with the best,
Marissa Mayer


1 comment:

  1. You need to remember that any depression and/or anxiety is something that with prayer can go away. Though it might come back, it's nothing the Lord can't help you get through. I have had lot's of thoughts and prayers over everything that's going on in your life. I do believe with all my heart that this is a storm the Lord is letting you walk through because you're not quite where He wants you to be. No drug, NO BOY, no blog will get you through this Marissa. This is between you and God. No one else. I'm not saying that you can't ask for help, but don't make your life about this. It is only a small part and you will miss out on SO MUCH JOY if this is your focus. I have wanted to share my thoughts with you for a while and I hope you know I am saying this out of love. Because I do love you! Stand firm in CHRIST!

    ReplyDelete