Saturday, May 21, 2016

Tough Goodbyes

Good evening...(or morning) to you all. Today was graduation.

As a junior, it was a time in which I came to realize that my own future is coming sooner than I expected. I watched my school mates walk across the stage, receive their diplomas, and smile bright, I couldn't help but remember...God has such big plans for all of them.

One of my best friends, Collin, was salutatorian of his class this year. The minute he walked up to that podium with that energetic smile, my eyes welled up with tears. The cap and gown, it was all suddenly real. Speaking on behalf of many of us students, I think it's safe to say that it was a little heartbreaking to watch our friends take such a big step towards their future. And away from us. A mix of feeling proud for them and yet sad that they're leaving us.

I'm proud of them all. Not only their accomplishments, but their growth in faith. While this has been incredibly good for the seniors, it's been especially good for those of us behind them. Their example of leadership has left an impact on my life and I'm sure on a lot of others.

I couldn't say goodbye to Collin enough times. Lots of hugs, laughs, and talking about the future. While I cried half of the way home, I am incredibly happy for this young man and all he has done. He's been more than a friend...but also a wonderful brother in Christ. He's been there when I needed him most and always manages to make me smile. The goodbye was rough, but I know it isn't forever.

Leaving those that we care about can be incredibly hard. It reminded me of when Jesus ascended into heaven. The disciples were somewhat confused and not quite sure what to do now that they were on their own. Their heavenly leader/example was leaving them and now they were being sent out into the world on their own to proclaim the Word of God. It can seem a little difficult to get along on our own and do things in the footsteps of those before us. However, as I said earlier, God has big plans for all of us. The biggest and best part of that plan was giving us His Son on the cross for our salvation. And that's why goodbyes don't have to be so tough. Because we will someday be reunited in heaven.

So here's to all the graduated seniors who might come across this post...congratulations! You did it. May God bless your future and keep you in His care.

And for my fellow juniors...it's our turn now. To be leaders in Christ.

Blessings,
Marissa Mayer

Sidenote: Thank you SO much for all the support lately! I've been getting lots of pageviews and feedback. God is working and He is most certainly good! Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment