Monday, February 13, 2017

Love Yourself?

In my last post, I referenced my idea of some good theological thoughts I wanted to share regarding love. And seeing Valentine's Day is coming up, it seemed appropriate for today. So here it is.

I can't count the amount of times I've seen tweets/posts about people saying: You have to love yourself first before you can love somebody else. 

This statement brought a lot of questions to my mind lately. First, what does loving yourself even mean?

For those of you who know me personally, I'm sure you could probably make a list of characteristics that you love about me. But when I think of love, in the context of myself, I think it's virtually impossible at first glance. Why? Because first and foremost, I am a sinner. I am disobedient all the time and constantly fall short of God's Law. I lie, I covet, I disrespect my parents. The list of sins is endless. Not only that, but I was completely dead in my sins. I'm so terrible, I can't actually even make the decision to believe in God to try and help myself. Looks like I'm in pretty rough shape, doesn't it?

That's where the real love comes in. Jesus Christ. The perfect definition of love was through His sacrifice on the cross, as He laid down His life for His bride, the Church. That's me! A part of the body of believers, I was in desperate need of salvation (remember, I'm 100% dead in my sins). Perfectly fulfilling the Law, Jesus served as the atoning sacrifice. Despite every atrocious sin I have committed and will ever commit, He loved me enough to bear the burden of my sins on the cross. Every time I screw up, I am forgiven. 

Love...it's not about me. It's all about Him. When I look in the mirror each day, instead of saying, "Wow I love myself", I should remember my baptism, and how by His grace, the sinner in me is drowned each and every day. I can look in the mirror and say, "The God who created me, loves me. Enough to send His Son to save a poor, miserable sinner like me." That's where the beauty is. I don't necessarily "love myself" but I sure do love Christ who has renewed my heart and set me free from the bondage of sin, death, and the devil.

This weekend, I again had the opportunity to kneel at the rail next to my band family, and let me tell you, being able to partake in the body and blood of Christ, it never fails to amaze me. His love, His grace, His endless mercy, never fails. It is always sufficient. And that, my friends, is true love.

A sinner, made righteous by His unchanging love,
Marissa Mayer

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Romans 8:38-39
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

Romans 5:8
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment